EAST LANSING, Mich. — The Michigan State University Department of Police and Public Safety (MSU DPPS) hosted its annual Awards Ceremony on May 18, 2023, recognizing department employees who have gone above and beyond during the 2022 calendar year. Numerous awards were presented during the ceremony, including the Life Saving Award, Officer of the Year, Civilian of the Year, and more.
“Every day, the employees at MSU Police and Public Safety work to advance the mission, vision, and values of our department,” said Vice President and Chief Safety Officer Marlon Lynch. “We are proud of the continuous work they do to serve our community. Congratulations to all the recipients.”
The 2022 award recipients are listed below.
- Officer of the Year – Officer Tony Alkema
- Civilian of the Year – Parking Coordinator Laura Dalley
- Student of the Year – Former Parking Enforcer Patrick Gordon
- Leadership Award (Sworn) – Sergeant Chad Davis
- Leadership Award (Civilian) – Cadet Operations Manager Katherine Broyles
- Citation Award – Officer Eric Acevedo and Officer Tony Alkema
- Citation Award – Sergeant Matt Dropping, Officer Cody Kovacic, and then Officer Tim Schutter
- Meritorious Service Award – Sergeant David Isabell
- Life Saving Award – Lieutenant Dan Childs and Officer Jeff Kurtz (Lansing Police Department)
- Heart Award – Lieutenant Steve Brandman
- Heart Award – Former Officer Tim Schutter
- Letter of Recognition – Michael Dunn (Citizen)
MSU Police and Public Safety is proud of the work done by its employees and community partners. The department will continue to uphold its values of collaboration, equity, integrity, excellence, and respect.
As always, MSU DPPS can be contacted anytime by calling 517-355-2221 or 9-1-1 for emergencies.
Dana Whyte, Communications Manager and Spokesperson, Michigan State University Department of Police and Public Safety