All permits must be properly affixed to your windshield before they are considered valid. So allow for mailing time when ordering a permit on-line. If you live on campus, you must be at least a second year freshman with 20 credits in order to register your vehicle. If you are a transfer student, we require proof that MSU has accepted 20 or more credits from your previous college or university.
ALL STUDENTS whether residing on or off campus must register their vehicle with the Department of Police if they operate their vehicles on campus.
Please note that permits are not valid for special events.
If you change vehicles, you must scrape off your permit and take the pieces of it and your MSU pictured ID card to the Parking Office. They will issue you a replacement permit for a $2 fee. If you are having your windshield replaced, you must do the same. Permits are non-transferable from one vehicle or from one windshield to another.
Available on-line starting July 12, 2017, at 9am:
- Spartan Village, University Village, and 1855 Place ($204): For residents of these apartment complexes.
Available on-line starting July 26, 2017, at 9am:
- Lot 25/R1 ($306): For residents of Owen. The Lot 25/R1 permit allows you to park in the Shaw Ramp (R1) or in lot 25. If lot 25 is full DO NOT park illegally in lot 25, instead continue on to the Shaw Ramp to park in the faculty/staff section. Your lot 25/R1 permit is also valid in lot 89. Your student ID card will be used for your gated access to lot 25. Please contact the MSU Parking Office to activate your student ID card for gated access if it is not working. Lot 25 is located south of Owen Hall. Ramp 1 is the permit parking area of the Shaw ramp. Your lot 25/R1 permit is NOT valid in leased spaces, in metered spaces, in Service vehicle spaces, in University vehicle spaces, in visitor spaces, or in disabled spaces.
- Lot 91 ($204): For residents of McDonel, Holmes, Akers, Hubbard, Shaw, Snyder-Phillips, Mason-Abbot, Owen and VanHoosen. This permit is also valid in lot 89. Lot 91 is located on the corner of Service and Hagadorn Roads.
- Lot 24/R1 ($306): For residents of VanHoosen only. This permit is valid in Lot 24 or in the Shaw Ramp (R1). It is not valid in metered spaces, leased spaces, service vehicle spaces, university vehicle spaces, visitor spaces, or disabled spaces.
Available on-line starting August 2, 2017, at 9am:
- Lot 65 ($306): For residents of Campbell, Landon, Gilchrist, Yakeley, Williams, Mayo, Armstrong, Rather, Butterfield, Emmons, Bailey, and Bryan who opt to pay the higher price for parking around the Brody Complex. Your lot 65 permit is also valid in lot 89. Lot 65 permits are not valid at the meters in lot 65 nor are they valid in the faculty/staff area of Brody Road.
- Lot 15 ($204): Residents of the halls listed above for lot 65 have the option of a 15 permit. Your lot 15 permit is also valid in lot 89. Lot 15 is located north of Ramp 7 and can be accessed using Kalamazoo Street.
- Lot 83 ($204): For residents of Holden, Wilson, Case, and Wonders. Your lot 83 permit is also valid in lot 89. Lot 83 is located off of Service Road south of Holden Hall.
Available on-line starting August 4, 2017, at 9am:
- Lot 89R ($127): All individuals living in residence halls are eligible for a lot 89R permit. You may choose to purchase this permit in place of another lot. Lot 89 is located at the corner of Farm Lane and Mt. Hope.
- Commuter ($104): – All individuals living off campus may purchase a commuter permit. This permit is valid in the commuter lot (Lot 89) located on the corner of Mt. Hope and Farm Lane. Commuter permits are also valid towards a discounted hourly rate in pay lots 62W, 100, and the visitor section of the Wharton Ramp. CATA has a bus route that runs from the commuter lot to the Shaw Ramp every 15 minutes during the week. The commuter lot is located on the corner of Farm Lane and Mt. Hope.
- CHM / COM / Nursing / CVM ($169/semester/plus registration): For all doctoral medical students.
You may purchase commuter permits, Lot 89R permits, University Apartments permits, and Graduate Assistant permits in person at the MSU Parking Office starting August 14, 2017. You must take your current vehicle registration, payment for the permit, and your student ID with you to the Parking Office if you register in person. If you live in University Apartments, then you must also bring your lease agreement. Lines will be long so it is to your advantage to purchase your permit online.
Lot 15, 24, 25, 65, 83, 89, 91, and commuter permits are valid starting August 14, 2017. University Village, Spartan Village, and 1855 Place permits are valid starting August 1, 2017.
Graduate Assistant Permits
All permits must be properly affixed to your windshield before they are considered valid. So allow for mailing time when ordering your permit online. Fall 2017 Semester graduate assistant permits will be sold online starting July 19, 2017, at 9am. Fall 2017 graduate assistant permits are valid starting August 14, 2017.
Those with valid and current graduate assistant parking permits affixed to their windshield may park in faculty/staff spaces south of the Red Cedar River and in the Brody Complex. Parking is not allowed north of the Red Cedar River unless at a paid meter or when the posted employee restriction is no longer in effect. Use of gate cards on north campus is restricted to accessing loading zones for 10 minutes to load or unload. Parking with a graduate assistant parking permit is allowed in pay lots 62West, 79, and in the Wharton ramp pay lot (accessed from Shaw Lane, north entrance to the ramp) but not in any other pay lots. If you park in any other pay lots on campus, then you must pay the hourly fee in order to do so. Parking at any meter on campus requires that the meter be paid.
You may register for a single vehicle graduate assistant permit or you may register two vehicles using a “repositionable” permit. A single graduate assistant permit will cost $127 per semester for the 2017-2018 academic year. The repositionable graduate assistant permit will cost $143 per semester for the 2017-2018 academic year. You may only register two vehicles using the repositionable permit with only one of the two allowed on campus at a time.
Once you have a current and valid graduate assistant parking permit, your MSU ID card should be activated for gated parking access. If you find that it is not working, please contact the MSU Parking Office in person or by calling 517-355-8440. They will need to know your ID card number which is found on the back of your card, at the bottom center. It is a six digit number preceded by an asterisk.
Those who are not able to purchase their graduate assistant parking permits online may do so in person at the MSU Parking Office beginning August 14, 2017 by taking your MSU ID card, your current vehicle registration, and proof of your graduate assistant appointment with you (a copy of your offer letter and a print out from EBS). Lines will be very long so it is recommended that you purchase your permit online.
If you have a single graduate assistant permit and you change vehicles or have your windshield replaced, then you must scrape off your permit and take the pieces of it to the Parking Office along with your current vehicle registration and your MSU ID card. A replacement permit will be issued for a $2 fee. Single graduate assistant permits are non-transferable from one vehicle or windshield to another.
If you have a repositionable graduate assistant permit and you change vehicles, then you MUST notify the Parking Office by calling or taking in your MSU ID card and the current vehicle registration for the new vehicle. The Parking Office will then remove whichever vehicle that you want from the repositionable permit record and add in the new one. You may only have two vehicles registered with the repositionable permit at one time. You must remember to remove the permit from your old vehicle before you sell it or trade it in. If you have your windshield replaced, then you must remove the repositionable permit from your old windshield beforehand. Then once the windshield is replaced, you may start using the repositionable permit on your new windshield.
Fellowship recipients who receive an MSU Fellowship of $1,000 or more per semester qualify for a graduate assistant parking permit. Qualifying fellowship recipients may not register on-line. They must go to the Parking Office with a letter from their Department Administrator stating that they have a fellowship of at least $1,000 per semester beginning Monday, August 14, 2017. They must also take their MSU Spartan ID card and current vehicle registration.
Motorcycles must be registered in person at the MSU Parking Office which is located at 1120 Red Cedar Road. The Parking Office is located inside the MSU Police Building on campus and is open Monday – Friday from 7:30am until 4:45pm. In order to register your motorcycle you will need to take your MSU ID card and your vehicle registration with you to the Parking Office. If you live off campus the cost to register your motorcycle is $103 for the 2017-2018 academic year. If you live on campus then the cost is $127. Mopeds that are over 100CC are considered a motorcycle under state law and must be parked in a motor vehicle space. If you live off campus then you must park it in the commuter lot and if you live on campus then you must park it in either lot 89, 91, 83, or 15.
Special Parking Requests
The Parking Office will consider special parking requests from students (including freshmen) for parking privileges other than what is normally issued due to extenuating circumstances, which may include family-, work- or medical-related issues. Persons are, however, encouraged to use existing parking and transportation options [bus (CATA), pay lots, disabled parking spaces (with valid disabled parking placard or plate issued through the Secretary of State or Department of Motor Vehicles, etc.)].
A semester fee is charged for special parking privileges in addition to registering the vehicle with the Parking Office. If not approved, persons will be directed to use existing parking and transportation options.
Summer 2017 complimentary parking in lots 83 and 91 will end as of 6pm on Friday, August 25, 2017. Permits will be required starting at 6pm on August 25.
Complimentary parking will continue to be available in lot 89 until 7am on Monday, September 11, 2017.