How to Report Sexual Misconduct and Relationship Violence

Relationship Violence & Sexual Misconduct Reporting Process

MSU Police Department (517) 355-2222

MSU Office of Institutional Equity (517) 353-3922

Please be aware that Michigan State University has a policy that prohibits relationship violence and sexual misconduct, including sexual assault. The Office of Institutional Equity (OIE) is responsible for enforcement of the university’s policy. The OIE process includes:

  • An investigation into the allegations of relationship violence or sexual misconduct to determine whether university policy has been violated.
  • If there is a finding of a policy violation committed by an MSU student, OIE files a complaint with the Department of Student Life under the student conduct process. This process may end in the respondent’s (alleged perpetrator’s) suspension or expulsion from the university.
  • If OIE files a claim with Student Life, you will have the choice to determine your level of participation, if any.
  • The MSU Police Department can contact OIE on your behalf, with your permission.
How to Report Sexual Misconduct

How to Report Sexual Misconduct


Relationship Violence and Sexual Misconduct Response Commitment

If you feel you are the victim of a sexual assault, call 911.

The Michigan State University Police Department has adopted the MSU Police Relationship Violence and Sexual Assault Response Commitment, which states:

Relationship violence and sexual assault, including non-stranger sexual assault, are a very serious concern of the University and community. If you feel you are the victim of a sexual assault on campus, the MSU Police Department is committed to the following:

  1. We will meet with you privately, at a place of your choice in this area, to take a police report.
  2. We will not release your name to the public or media. Your parent or guardian will not be notified, unless you are a minor.
  3. Our officers will not prejudge you, and you will not be blamed for what occurred.
  4. We will treat you and your particular case with courtesy, sensitivity, dignity, understanding, and professionalism.
  5. If you feel more comfortable talking with a female or male officer, and would like to have a friend or advocate present, we will do our best to accommodate your request.
  6. We will assist you in arranging for any hospital treatment or other medical needs.
  7. With your permission, we will assist you in contacting counseling and advocacy services, in addition to other available resources that will continue to provide you with additional support throughout the investigation.
  8. We will fully investigate your case. You will be kept up-to-date on the progress of the investigation. Each investigation is forwarded to the prosecutor’s office for review, with your input taken into consideration as to the best possible outcome.
  9. We will continue to be available for you, to answer your questions and to explain the systems and processes involved (prosecutor’s office, court proceedings, university investigation).
  10. We will consider your case seriously regardless of your gender or sexual orientation, and regardless of the gender or sexual orientation of the suspect.

If we fail to achieve any part of the above guarantee, the Chief of Police, Jim Dunlap, will meet with you personally to address any problems. The MSU Police want to continue to make the MSU campus safe for students, faculty, staff and visitors.

Details of the reporting process are documented in the Relationship Violence Victims’ Rights and Resources and Sexual Assault Victims’ Rights and Resources files. These links include the processes for MSU Police and the Office of Institutional Equity for reporting relationship violence and sexual misconduct.

Immediate Resources

Sexual Assault Services:

  • MSU Sexual Assault Program – Counseling Center: 517-355-3551 (Business Line), 517-372-6666 (24hr Crisis Line),
  • MSU Women’s Resource Center: 517-353-1635,

Relationship/Domestic Violence Services:

  • MSU Safe Place: 517-355-1100,, Email:
  • End Violent Encounters (EVE, Inc): 517-372-5976, 517-372-5572 (24hr Crisis Line)
  • Personal Protection Order Office: 517-483-6545

Medical Services:

  • Sparrow Hospital: Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner Unit (SANE)
  • Free and confidential: 517-364-3641,
  • Olin Health Center: 517-355-4510, 517-353-5557(24hr nurse line),
  • McLaren Greater Lansing: 517-975-6000,

Personal Protection Orders (PPO):

  • A PPO is an order issued by Circuit Court that forbids or requires a person (the respondent) to do something.   If you want to obtain a PPO, you (the petitioner) have to file a petition with the court. PPOs can be issued for victims of relationship violence, sexual assault, and stalking.
  • The PPO office and Circuit Court are located in the Veteran’s Memorial Courthouse at 313 E. Kalamazoo St, Lansing MI 48933.
    The phone number is 517-483-6545.
  • More information pertaining to PPO’s can be found at:

VINELink: 800-770-7657

Crime Victims’ Rights Act – 18 U.S.C. § 3771
Rights of Crime Victims – A crime victim has the following rights:

  1. The right to be reasonably protected from the accused.
  2. The right to reasonable, accurate, and timely notice of any public court proceeding, or any parole proceeding, involving the crime or of any release or escape of the accused.
  3. The right not to be excluded from any such public court proceeding, unless the court, after receiving clear and convincing evidence, determines that testimony by the victim would be materially altered if the victim heard other testimony at that proceeding.
  4. The right to be reasonably heard at any public proceeding in the district court involving release, plea, sentencing, or any parole proceeding.
  5. The reasonable right to confer with the attorney for the Government in the case.
  6. The right to full and timely restitution as provided by law.
  7. The right to proceedings free from unreasonable delay.
  8. The right to be treated with fairness and with respect for the victim’s dignity and privacy.

Crime Victim’s Rights Act, MCL 780.751 et.seq

  1. You may be eligible for crime victim’s compensation benefits. To apply, fill out an application available from the Crime Victim Services Commission at 517-373-7373.
  2. If you would like to be notified of an arrest in your case or the release of the person arrested or both, you call the investigator you are working directly with and inform them.

You can contact the Ingham County Prosecutor’s Office at 517-483-6108 to obtain information about victim’s rights

Sexual Assault Victim’s Access to Justice Act, MCL 752.953

  1. You can have a sexual assault medical forensic examination and have evidence collected using a sexual assault evidence kit even if you do not want to participate in the criminal justice system or cooperate with law enforcement.
  2. You cannot be billed for the cost of administering the sexual assault evidence kit. If you receive a bill for these services, contact the Michigan Crime Victim Commission at 517-373-7373.
  3. You have the right to ask the investigating law enforcement agency for the contact information for the detective or investigating officer assigned to the case, the current status of the case, whether the case has been submitted to the prosecuting attorney for review, and whether the case has been closed and the documented reason for closure.
  4. If you have had a sexual assault evidence kit collected and released to law enforcement, you have a right to ask the investigating agency for the following information when the sexual assault evidence kit was sent to a forensic laboratory for testing; whether a DNA profile was obtained from the sexual assault evidence kit,; whether a DNA profile was entered into CODIS; and whether a DNA profile resulted in a CODIS hit.
  5. Your legal rights include the right to go to court and file a petition requesting a personal protection order (PPO) to protect you from the perpetrator. The PPO could order the perpetrator not to have contact with you and include other specific conditions.

Domestic Violence Notices, MCL 764.15c

  1. You may obtain a copy of the police incident report for your case by contacting the law enforcement agency at the phone number previously shown.
  2. Your legal rights include the right to go to court and file a petition requesting a personal protection order to protect you or other members of your household from domestic abuse which could include restraining or enjoining the abuser from doing the following:
    1. Entering on to premises
    2. Assaulting, attacking, beating, molesting, or wounding you
    3. Removing minor children from you, except as otherwise authorized by a custody or parenting time order issued by a court of competent jurisdiction
    4. Engaging in stalking behavior
    5. Purchasing or possessing a firearm
    6. Interfering with you at your place of employment or education or engaging in conduct that impairs your employment
    7. Engaging in any other specific act or conduct that imposes upon or interferes with your personal liberty or that causes a reasonable apprehension of violence
    8. Having access to information in records concerning any minor child you have with the abuser that would inform the abuser about your address or telephone number, the child’s address or telephone number, or your employment address

Your legal rights also include the right to go to court and file a motion for an order to show cause and a hearing if the abuser or perpetrator is violating the protection order and has not been arrested.